Head of Finance
Oliva is the employee mental wellbeing platform for companies who want to properly care for their people, and help them grow.
By combining proper therapy courses, coaching (the good kind), dedicated support for managers, and mental fitness classes—all led by a curated team of top professionals—Oliva helps employees respond to whatever hurdles life throws at them: big or small, at work and beyond.
We've raised funding from two of Europe's best venture capital firms and various top-notch angels. And now, we're looking for a top notch Financial Controller to embark on this journey with us.
This isn't just any job. We want to make a meaningful impact on an industry that changes people’s lives. The ideal candidate is not only an experienced Financial Controller, but also someone who’s passionate about joining a movement to reimagine modern mental healthcare.
You’ll be joining as our very first ever Financial Controller within our Operations team, meaning it’s all to play for. We need someone to supercharge and own our end-to-end accounting and cash operations.
In a nutshell, you’ll be the go-to Olivan for all things finance. You will build monitoring and oversight capabilities for all key accounting processes and support in growing a world-class finance function as we scale.
Within Oliva, you’ll be the voice of finance. This role is a unique opportunity to help us build the foundations of what is a highly critical part of our business
You’ll make an impact in the following areas:
- Preparing management accounts for all group entities, both accurately and timely
- Apply best-in-class accounting standards across Oliva
- Own key financial operations, covering cash and balance sheet reconciliations, accounts payable, payroll, ERS, VAT and other relevant global taxes
- Play a key role in our statutory and specific scope audit procedures across multiple entities;
- Own reporting and support on creating understandable and impactful board updates
- Develop and maintain appropriate documentation of accounting policies and finance practices
- Resolve issues, identify areas for improvement and drive them
- Create and drive forward controls and process improvements, utilising data or automation wherever possible;
- Forecast, analyze and optimize cost of processes and controls
- Partner with the business to drive understanding of actuals, and variance analysis to budget
- Support on creating understandable and impactful board updates
You are a Finance Manager or Controller passionate about mental health. With experience working with early stage startups before, you will enjoy building from scratch and will not be afraid of rolling your sleeves up. Ownership is one of your strengths with the ability to communicate with both financially savvy and non-savvy peers. You are seeking an opportunity to make a real impact.
You’ll be successful if you:
- Are based in the UK/EU
- Are a qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, or CIMA)
- Proven experience as a Financial Controller or Manager
- Thorough understanding of what best in class systems, processes and controls look like
- Experience in similar roles or responsibilities in a consultancy and/or in a start-up
- Understanding of financial trends both within the company and general market patterns
- Ideally supported on board updates and fundraising processes
- Strong technical accounting skills- A focus on quality improvement and automation, a desire for continual improvement
- A data-driven mindset
- The ability to build and nurture relationships internally and external to the organization
- Happy to travel twice a year to our offsites for up to three nights
We come to work each day knowing that we're contributing to a truly meaningful mission: to improve the mental health of millions of people worldwide.
On top of this, you get:
- A healthy salary and early-employee stock options in a rapidly growing startup
- Plenty of paid time off to relax and recharge your batteries
- Extensive private medical insurance or a healthcare allowance
- Therapy allowance—and encouragement to take advantage of it
- Wellbeing allowance to look after yourself
- Remote working allowance or a coworking membership
- Flexible hours
- Professional learning & development opportunities to help you grow
- An autonomous, vibrant, and flexible work environment
- Travel once per quarter to a team event
Diversity & inclusion
We know the tech industry has a diversity problem. Without proactively addressing this, we could easily end up hiring a lot of very similar people. So we’re enthusiastically encouraging applications from underrepresented groups in our industry. We hire with fairness and awareness—and we mean it.
Whoever you may be: regardless of age, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender, religion, disability, background, or identity, we’d love to hear from you. If you need any adjustments during the interview process, let us know and we’ll accommodate.
Who we are
Oliva is a tight-knit, experienced, and passionate team of engineers, designers, marketers, and psychologists. We’ve all been through our own battles with burnout, anxiety, low self-esteem, and depression. And while we’ve all had both positive and less positive experiences with mental healthcare, we know first-hand that talking through your problems makes a massive difference once you find the right person.
Our co-founders, Javier Suarez and Sançar Sahin, have both experienced the emotional highs and lows of scaling successful tech startups and lived to tell the tale. Javier co-founded the business travel startup TravelPerk—which went on to serve thousands of businesses and employ hundreds of people—and previously led innovation at Booking.com. Sançar has led marketing teams at Typeform, Hotjar, and GetApp.
If you’ve ever felt like you needed mental health support but had no idea where to start, you’re in good company. Our goal is to stop people feeling like that.
We are fully remote but you will need to be based in the UK or EU for our positions and be willing to travel twice a year for up to 3 nights. Unfortunately at the moment we are unable to sponsor working permits or visas outside of the UK.