Fullstack Software Engineer : Founding Team
Fullstack Software Engineer : Founding Team
About the role
What we do:
Flagright helps fintech startups prevent financial crime and remain AML compliant while enabling them to grow revenue and manage risk appetite in real time. It’s an API-first solution with a no-code back office portal. We provide real-time responses even for data-intensive, complex rules via a simple and extensible API on a usage-based pricing model. We are on a mission to commoditize financial crime prevention tooling for startups globally and we're looking for an experienced Frontend Software Engineer to join our team.
We are a Y Combinator-backed company based in Berlin, serving customers from 6 continents.
About the role:
You will be a founding member of the engineering team and get an opportunity to build the company alongside the founders. This is a unique opportunity to learn from seasoned technologists, help share trends in Fintech, dabble in the latest data and AI technologies, and bring to market an exciting first-of-its-kind product. We have a very open and transparent culture, so you will also have the opportunity to contribute to any aspect of the business. Nothing here is beyond your reach.
What you’ll need:
We are looking for developers with a penchant for building fast prototypes to launch to real customers and iteratively improve the product working closely with the founders and customers. So, you ideally have an entrepreneurial mindset or want to learn what it takes to work in an early-stage startup. At least 5+ years of relevant experience writing code, building and maintaining systems in a high-scale production environment, and have driven one or more projects independently from design through implementation and maintenance.
- Solve complex engineering problems at a fast pace.
- Deliver high-quality frontend & backend code against tight deadlines.
- Collaborate closely with the founding team to deliver robust and comprehensive interfaces to core compliance and anti-fraud financial primitives.
- Make pragmatic tradeoffs considering customer experience, business priorities and a sustainable technical baseline.
- Own and drive changes that increase the productivity of customers working on frontend applications and the efficiency and reliability of our API.
- Work with your teammates to own and innovate on the development experience.
- Collaborate closely with the founding team and designers to deliver a great experience for people using your team’s products.
- Influence the direction of Flagright’s platform, services, and engineering culture.
- Hide complexity from our users behind simple, yet powerful abstractions.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Interest in building software systems from scratch - we care much more about general engineering skills than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Pride in owning projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems.
- A high standard, of themselves and the people they work with.
- Acute interest in taking ownership of technical design, implementation and results.
- Strong and transparent communication skills.
- Problem-solving mindset - sees a problem as an opportunity to grow and is motivated to find solutions, thereby focusing on growth and achieving positive results.
- Distributed NoSQL Datastores - Cassandra/DynamoDB, MongoDB
- Event brokers and Queues - Kafka, Kinesis, SQS
- Node.js, TypeScript, Go, Scala
- Docker Containers
- AWS Lambda, API Gateway, Fargate
- Apache Spark
- Work alongside a highly competent, top-tier team (Y Combinator, ex Palantir, AWS, Revolut, Zalando).
- Great career development opportunities in a fast-growing company.
- Low-bureaucracy, minimal meetings, async communications culture, and flat structure.
- Significant equity option package at a YC-backed startup.
- You’ll be paid at the top of your market level.
- 24 days of paid vacation per year.
- Fast-moving, challenging and unique business problems.
If you would like to be a part of enabling the future of fintech startups, please apply!
About the interview
R1: Exploratory chat with talent lead (30 minutes) with Ritika . This step is to get to know you better and help you learn more about us. We’ll talk about your background and prior projects/experiences, what drives and motivates you, and what you seek in your next role.
R2: Live Coding + Problem-Solving with our founding engineer (1 hour) with Chia Lun Wu
R3: Live Coding + Application programming with our founding engineer (1 hour) with Tim
R4: System Design: HLD + LLD with our founder and CTO (1 hour) with Madhu
R5: Behavioral + Cultural Alignment with the founding team (1 hour) with Harish . We’re going to be looking for specific examples of times in your past roles when you have demonstrated high ownership skills and an execution-minded attitude that is critical to success as part of our team.
R6: Bar raiser with our founder and CEO (30 minutes) with Baran Ozkan . This step is a way for us to understand your motivation, values and attitude. We’ll want you to give us specific instances where you’ve either demonstrated a behaviour (maybe you didn’t settle?) or achieved something that means you’re likely to be a really good fit here. 🔹Top tip: Keep it concise, and always focus on the impact you had.
Flagright helps businesses stop financial crime with an all-in-one platform for AML compliance & fraud use cases. Our developer-friendly API enables customers to set up their infrastructure in just 4 days. We are a Y Combinator company based in Berlin, Germany, serving customers from 6 continents.
Financial institutions face significant financial crime risks, including money laundering and fraud. These risks can not only result in financial losses and reputational damage for the businesses, but also harm consumers and society as a whole. Consumers may lose their savings if their accounts are used for money laundering purposes, and society may suffer from the negative impacts of terrorist financing and other illegal activities. We believe in enabling businesses with a fast, easy, and affordable security infrastructure.