Backend Software Engineer
Fraud & AML transaction monitoring for fintechs
Backend Software Engineer
About the role
What we do
Flagright enables fintechs prevent financial crime and helps stop human trafficking, child labor, sex slavery, and fraud among other crimes. We offer an API-first solution with a no-code back office portal for AML compliance and fraud prevention use cases.
We provide an API-first solution with a no-code back office portal. We are a Y Combinator-backed company based in Berlin, serving customers from four continents.
- Solve complex engineering problems at a fast pace.
- Architect, build, evolve and own significant parts of the core Flagright systems.
- Deliver extremely reliable and performant software systems against tight deadlines.
- Influence the direction of Flagright’s platform, services, and engineering culture.
- Scope, design, and implement high-performance APIs and services.
- Hide complexity from our users behind simple, yet powerful abstractions.
- Collaborate closely with the founding team to deliver robust and comprehensive interfaces to core compliance and anti-fraud financial primitives.
- Develop and execute against both short and long-term roadmaps.
- Make pragmatic tradeoffs considering customer experience, business priorities and a sustainable technical baseline.
- At least 3 years of experience and interest in building software systems from scratch - we care much more about general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Pride in owning projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems.
- A high standard, of themselves and the people they work with.
- Acute interest in taking ownership of technical design, implementation and results.
- Strong and transparent English communication skills.
- Problem solving mindset - see a problem as an opportunity to grow and is motivated to find solutions, thereby focussing on growth and achieving positive results.
- Distributed NoSQL Datastores - Cassandra/DynamoDB, MongoDB
- Event brokers and Queues - Kafka, Kinesis, SQS
- Node.js, TypeScript, Go, Scala
- Docker Containers
- AWS Lambda, API Gateway, Fargate
- Apache Spark
- Work alongside a highly competent, top-tier team (Y Combinator, ex AWS, Zalando, Palantir).
- Great career development opportunities in a fast-growing company.
- Low-bureaucracy, minimal meetings, async communications, international culture, flat organization.
- Significant equity option package at a YC-backed startup.
- You’ll be paid at the top of your market level.
- 20 days of paid vacation per year.
- Relocation to Berlin is fully supported for this position including the visa sponsorship. We are an office-based startup, remote isn't supported.
- Fast moving, challenging and unique business problems.
- Possibility for relocation and international transfers mid-career.
- Do something meaningful, help stop human trafficking, money laundering, child labor; Be a part of enabling the future of fintech startups.
About the interview
- First interview with Baran Ozkan, Co-founder & CEO - 30 mins - This step is aimed to get to know each other, tell you more about the position, and align expectations.
- Second interview with Madhu Nadig, Co-founder & CTO - 1.5 hours - This step is aimed to understand your past experience and dive deeper into some technical aspects. It will cover some behavioral questions and gauge culture fit as well.
- Third interview with Chia Lun Wu, Founding Engineer - 1 hour - Live technical task
- Fourth interview with a Flagright Engineer - 1 hour - Live technical task
- Fifth interview with Madhu Nadig, Co-founder & CTO - 1 hour - Systems Design
- Offer (30 minutes) with Baran
- Reference checks
Flagright helps businesses stop financial crime with an all-in-one platform for AML compliance & fraud use cases. Our developer-friendly API enables customers to set up their infrastructure in just 4 days. We are a Y Combinator company based in Berlin, Germany, serving customers from 6 continents.
Financial institutions face significant financial crime risks, including money laundering and fraud. These risks can not only result in financial losses and reputational damage for the businesses, but also harm consumers and society as a whole. Consumers may lose their savings if their accounts are used for money laundering purposes, and society may suffer from the negative impacts of terrorist financing and other illegal activities. We believe in enabling businesses with a fast, easy, and affordable security infrastructure.